Sunday, August 28, 2011

Thoughts so far

I guess I have never really considered how unconsciously racist I could be. Those brief moments when you might suddenly make a judgement, have now become heavily criticised by me. Studying this paper makes me analyse my thoughts, movie trailers peoples comments online and anything else i come across. Race has come a bigger part of my life as I observe it in action on the world around me. I have never really considered the conditions my 'whiteness' casts on me in comparison to other races. Peggy McIntosh's"White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" brought some interesting situations to the surface about things that i take for granted, and how circumstances could change if my skin was simply another colour. I think that studying this paper is bringing around a greater awareness to all its students which can only be a good thing.

1 comment: