During the London riots, the media coverage's are heavily gauged in the unfair representation of Blacks. Most pictures or videos shown were Black people in the riot crowds suggesting that they are or were the ones causing trouble. However, recently I came across a picture and news, that I previously thought nothing of, but because this course started right when the riots started, therefore I had weeks to think about it. I have the link here for the picture http://www.lobshots.com/2011/08/09/london-you-give-me-riots-i-give-you-tea/ . Imagine this picture, in contrast with the Black people in the riot crowds. What are they suggesting? To me, it represents a feeling of the White hero, much like Hollywood films. In a sense, this news is so unimportant that it should never have been featured in any forms of media, which made me wonder whether this was done deliberately to take a shot towards the black community or not. This picture will create or enforce the idea that Shohat and Stam suggested in their perception(s) towards stereotypes, it becomes a form of social control that tells us subconsciously that Black people are trouble makers while White people are peace keepers. Are those pictures a good representation of what's going on in London? I think not.
The connection this makes between photos of a riot and the white hero in Hollywood films is interesting, and shows quick thinking. A good blog - connected with course material, original idea.
ReplyDelete